16 Healthy foods diabetics should eat regularly
Diabetes is a health condition that happens to a person when his blood sugar level gets too high. There two types, Type A and Type B, wherein the latter usually happens because of a person’s lifestyle. Type 2 is more severe because it usually leads to maintenance for a lifetime. However, there are things that a Type 2 diabetes patient can do so he won’t have to go through medication for the rest of his life. The way to do that is to use herbal alternatives, which we will be discussing in this article. Here are the 16 foods that diabetics should consume often.
- Berries. Just because diabetes occurs because of blood sugar, that doesn’t mean that sweet fruits will only worsen their condition. Berries like raspberry and blueberry are in fact good for diabetics even though they contain sweet fructose. This is because berries have a high level of antioxidant that can regulate the insulin in the body.
- Indian Gooseberry. This fruit is part of the ancient Indian system of medicine called Ayurveda. Since centuries ago, Indian gooseberry was used to improve one’s glucose level before it could lead to something worse like diabetes. It also contains antioxidant properties which makes it very effective in combating this condition. Aside from that, Indian gooseberry is also used to improve heart, liver, and brain’s health so eating it would really improve your entire being.
- Avocado. Eating avocado every day can help you decrease your risk of having diabetes. This fruit contain potassium, a mineral that can regulate your sodium level, which is responsible for the abnormalities of your insulin. This makes avocado a very healthy food especially for diabetics so you should consider adding it to your diet plan.
- Bitter Melon. Another Ayurvedic plant used to treat diabetes is bitter melon. Studies have found out that it can effectively lower the blood sugar and bring it back to the normal level. It also regulates the insulin production that’s why hypoglycemia is being prevented. Fresh bitter melon is best to eat and is just as effective as pharmaceutical drugs and medicine.
- Apple. As the popular saying goes, an apple a day keeps the doctor away. And that’s exactly what you need to do if you don’t want to suffer from health conditions like diabetes. Apples can regulate the blood sugar level by regulating the excretion of insulin in the body, and this fruit does its job through its fiber content. So if you’re craving for sweets while being diabetic, apple is the perfect food for you.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. ACV is very popular in cuisines of many cultures because it brings a unique taste to food. Aside from that, it is also a favorite of many herbalists because of its many health benefits. One of those benefits is its ability to lower a person’s risk of having diabetes. If your insulin level is starting to off its normal rhythm, the best way to fix it is by drinking water mixed with 20gm of apple cider vinegar.
- Cinnamon. If insulin sensitivity is your problem, cinnamon is one of the solutions to that. This spice isn’t just for adding flavor to different dishes, it can also help a person avoid diabetes. It can regulate the insulin production of the body, which abnormality is the primary cause of diabetes. If the insulin is doing fine then glucose or the sugar of the blood will have no problem as well.
- Walnuts. Tree nuts like walnuts are full of polyunsaturated fatty acids. This is a kind of fat that our body needs to improve our insulin excretion. So if you want to avoid diabetes, and lose weight in the process, we suggest you consume walnut or any other tree nut every day.
- Turmeric. Another favorite spice that is usually used to make food even tastier. But aside from being a kitchen’s favorite, it can also improve the glucose level of a person through its curcumin content, so it is highly recommended that you add turmeric in your food every now and then.
- Carrots. This orange vegetable is very popular because it is rich in Vitamin A that is necessary for good eyesight. But do you know that its Vitamin A content can also be transformed into an antioxidant that will protect your body from high blood sugar level and diabetes? Make it a habit of eating carrots and you will not just have good eyesight, but regulated blood sugar as well.
- Broccoli and Spinach. Non-starchy vegetables such as broccoli and spinach are very healthy because they are rich in fiber and low in carbs. So if you consume these vegetables, your weight will be regulated which is very important in preventing diabetes.
- Fenugreek Seeds. Consuming fenugreek tea has its benefits that you would want to avail. Studies suggest that fenugreek seeds can help glycemic control, hence regulating the blood sugar level and preventing diabetes. If you are having trouble with your insulin level, it’s best to consume fenugreek tea in a couple of months for you to get better.
- Beans. This vegetable is also advisable to eat if you want to lose weight in a healthy way. Eating beans will give you lots of protein and less fat that’s why your stomach will feel full immediately and you will eat less than you normally do. This is very important because weight is one of the factors that contribute to diabetes. Also, eating beans will also keep you away from cardiovascular diseases such as Coronary Heart Disease or CHD.
- Whole Grains. Whole grain foods just like white bread and oats can improve a person’s insulin sensitivity, that’s why it is good for the diabetics. Because insulin is improved, the blood sugar metabolism will also be improved and regulated. Studies even showed that most of the people who always eat whole grain foods are 30% less like to have a Type 2 diabetes. Also, these foods are rich in Vitamin E which is also good for diabetic persons.
- Flounder and Cod Fish. Lean fish like flounder and cod are also weight regulators and can protect a person from having Type 2 diabetes. Note that not every fish will have an effect like this, specially not fatty fish. But if you think that eating fish is enough then you’re definitely wrong. You need to have a balanced diet and active lifestyle for the trick to work.
- Unsweetened Soy. Although fruits and vegetables are exemptions, sugar and other sweet food must be avoided to control diabetes. An example of that is using unsweetened soy instead of the traditional sweet one. Especially for post-menopausal women, the isoflanoves of unsweetened soy is what they need to avoid having complications in the blood sugar and diabetes.
Make sure to remember these 16 foods and you will surely be protected from diabetes. Don’t forget to share this article with your family and friends so they too will be aware of these alternative remedies for treating diabetes.